Binghamtown Baptist Church
This page changes frequently. Please come back and visit often. We look forward to your visits!
Biblical and Baptist history is filled with God doing great things for others. The first century church, missionaries, pastors, evangelists, and churches of our past are filled with exciting accounts of what God is capable of doing. Do those of our past have something that we do not have? Well, yes and no. Yes, they had the power of God all over them, so they may have something that we do not have in our personal life. Then again, the answer is no because we have access to the same powerful God that they did. It is time that the people of God get hungry for the power of God upon their lives -- to become great prayer warriors, soul-winners, teachers, preachers, or servants in the local church.
We cannot just sit back and think that the power of God was for "them" in the past and not for "us" in the present. Psalm 63:1-2 speaks of thirsting and longing for God in order to see His power and glory. Do you thirst after and long after a manifestation of God in your life? Do not settle for God doing great things for others, seek after the God that can do it for you!
~ Pastor AJ Potter, Pleasantville Baptist Church, Pleasantville, IA - From "Call to Glory" A Devotional Guide
Read: Isaiah 5:11-14
Read: Matthew 6:1-4, 23
We are "ambassadors for Christ" and we are to beseech sinners to be "reconciled to God." Though certainly aware of the Gospel message, the angel in Cornelius' living room in Acts 10:1-7 could not tell him the good news! Rather, Cornelius was told to call for a man who would "tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved." What a privilege is ours!
~ Pastor Travis Alltop, Bluegrass Pike Baptist Church, Danville, KY - From "Call to Glory" A Devotional Guide
Isaiah reveals a sobering and sad truth. Hell is getting bigger. Why is this? Here are a few reasons why this may be:
the iceberg" (what is seen) compared to the long unseen hours of practice. A 40-minute sermon is but the "tip of the iceberg" compared to the unseen study, research, prayer, and preparation (about 7.3 hours if the 87% ratio is followed).
This is also true of Christian living! The "tip of the iceberg" in one's spiritual life is called one's "testimony." It is what others see! If his or her testimony stands out as impressive, it is because something much bigger is going on "out of sight!" Things like: love for God, mercies, forgiveness, prayer, devotions, Bible convictions, humility, passion for lost souls and so much more. All of these things are "out of sight". On the other hand, if their "tip of the iceberg" resembles something of an ice cube bobbing around in water, then it must mean that there really isn't much happening that is "out of sight."
Like the Pharisees of Matthew 23, many want to be 100% "seen", but they don't want to do anything that is "out of sight" to make their testimony real. If you want to have a visible testimony that others can view and appreciate, then start doing things that are, "out of sight"!
~ Pastor Robert A. Mayes, First Baptist Church, Deale, MD - From "Call to Glory" A Devotional Guide
About 87% of an iceberg is below the seawater's surface, leaving 13% above the water. Only 1/8th of an iceberg is seen while the other 7/8th is completely out of sight. The 7/8th part is necessary to make "the tip of the iceberg" seen!
There are a lot of "tip of the iceberg" situations in life. For instance, a 30-minute piano recital is but the "tip of
Many times we hear messages preached, lessons taught, or songs sung about the last couple verses of this Psalm. I want to draw your attention to two words found in verse 2 and 3. They are the words "them" and "us." We notice that these two words are preceded by this statement "The LORD hath done great things for..." and then follows the two words highlighted earlier. I wonder if we have gotten used to hearing about the great things that God has done for "them" and have lost our hunger to see God do great things for "us."